22 Product Photography Tips To Know In 2022
Product photography is a vital part of any eCommerce business. With the rise in online shopping and mobile devices, it has become even more important to make sure your website's product photos are high quality and well taken. The following tips will help you take better pictures of your products!
Why Product Photography is Essential
Good product photography can make or break an eCommerce business. It's one of the most important aspects of your website, and it's essential to have high-quality, well-taken photos to portray your products in the best light possible. Here are a few reasons why product photography is so important:
Photos Represent Your Brand:
When people visit your website, the first thing they'll see is your product photos. If they're not high quality or well taken, it will reflect poorly on your brand and people will be less likely to buy from you.
Photos Sell Products:
People are much more likely to buy a product if they can see it in detail and in a good light. Product photos are essential for online shoppers, and they can make or break a sale.
Photos Affect Conversions:
A good product photo can convince someone to buy a product, while a bad one can dissuade them from making a purchase. If your website's conversion rate is low, it may be due to your product photos.
Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
Now that you know why product photography is so important, here are a few tips for taking better pictures of your products:
1. Lighting is Key: One of the most important aspects of good product photography is proper lighting. You want to make sure your photos are taken in a well-lit area, and that the light is shining on your product from the right angle. If you have the budget, purchase flash lighting or continuous lighting to have more direct lighting and create fun images through hard shadows.
2. Use a Tripod: A tripod is essential for taking good product photos. It will help you keep your camera still and avoid blurry pictures. The other great benefit of utilizing a tripod is keeping consistent with angles between product variations. Easily swap out product variations all while keeping the same angle to keep consistent images across all listings.
3. Get Close: Zooming in on your product can allow you to showcase features and give the viewer a better idea of what they're buying. Not only that but it can also help create fun, unique images to showcase your product.
4. Lifestyle Product Photography: Adding a lifestyle element to your product photos can be a great way to show off your product in use. This can be as simple as adding a model or using props to style the photo.
5. Showcase Your Product: It's important to make sure your product is the star of the photo. Don't clutter up the frame with too many distractions, and make sure the product is front and center.
6. Choose a Background: The background of your photo can be just as important as the product itself. You want to choose a background that will compliment your product and help it stand out.
7. Edit Your Photos: Editing your product photos can help them look even better. There are many different editing tools available, so find one that works best for you and your style. Editing can help you create a brand style and look that you can begin to market with which ultimately can create a brand voice.
8. Shoot Multiple Angles: It's a good idea to shoot your product from multiple angles. This will give the viewer a variety of photos to look at and help them get a better idea of what the product looks like.
9. Use White Backgrounds: A white background is often the best option for product photography for hero images, especially for marketplaces that require it. It makes your product stand out and it's easy for shoppers to understand exactly what they are getting.
10. Model Product Photography: If you're feeling creative, product photography using models can be a great way to showcase your product. This type of photography can add an element of excitement and intrigue to your product photos, in addition to adding an amazing human element that instantly creates an emotional connection to your product listing. Not only does it help create emotional pull but it also helps people understand product use and features.
11. Incorporate Your Brand: If possible, try to incorporate your brand into your product photos. This will help people associate your product with your company and create a more unified look for your product listings and other omni channel platforms. Consistency is key!
12. Use Props With Your Photos: Props can be a great way to style your product photos and add some personality. They can also help you showcase your product in use, which can be a great way to sell your product. Just make sure the props don't overshadow the product itself.
13. Incorporate A Hand Model: If you have a product that needs to be touched or felt to understand the features, using a hand model can be a great way to show this off. This is also a great option for products that are difficult to photograph well, like jewelry. It also allows the shopper to understand the size of your product to make sure they are making an informed buying decision.
14. Get Creative: The sky's the limit when it comes to product photography! Be creative and experiment with different ideas to see what works best for you and your product. There are no wrong answers, so have fun with it! The most creative images always get the best engagement on social media and get people commenting and sharing.
15. Capture Images At Unique Locations: If you can find a unique location to shoot your product, even better! This will help set your product photos apart from the competition and give people a fresh perspective on your product. It will also create the human emotional connection needed to get people to click the "add to cart" button with more certainty that your product is the right choice.
16. Showcase The Features Of Your Product: Don't be afraid to showcase the features of your product in your product photos. This can help people understand what your product does and how it works. It can also help increase conversion rates as people can see all the benefits of your product at a glance.
17. Use Infographics With Your Images: Infographics can be a great way to show off product features in an easily digestible way. They are also great for grabbing attention on social media and can help you tell your product's story in a visually appealing way.
18. Add Text To Your Images: Sometimes text added to images can be helpful, especially if you want to highlight a specific feature of your product or just give some additional information about the product. Just make sure it doesn't clutter up the image or take away from the product itself.
19. Use Shadows In Your Photos: A little shadow can go a long way in product photography. It can add depth and dimension to your photos, making them more interesting and eye-catching. Experiment with different shadows to see what looks best with your product.
20. Use Colors In Your Photos: Color can be a great way to grab attention and help convey the feeling or vibe you want your product photos to give off. Different colors will work better with different products, so experiment until you find the right combination.
21. Take Extra Images: It's always a good idea to have extra product images on hand just in case you need them. This could be for cases where one of your product photos isn't quite right, or if you want to use different images for social media posts or other marketing materials. Having extra product shots also gives people more options when it comes to choosing the right image for their needs.
22. Get Professional Help: If all this sounds like too much work, don't worry! You can always hire a professional photographer to help take care of all your product photography needs. This will ensure that your product photos look great and help increase sales and conversions.
Beginners Product Photography Essential Items List
Here is a quick list to check out that includes all the essential items you will need to produce high-quality images. Many of these items can be found online, in local camera stores or possibly items you already have.
- Memory Card
- Extra Batteries
- Shutter Release Cable or Remote Control App
- Backdrop or Table Top
- Software for Editing
First Step After Getting The Items Is Taking The Photos
Once you have all the product photography equipment, it is time to take some product photos. Here are a few tips on how to do that:
- Start by setting up your camera and tripod in a location where there is plenty of light. If you are using artificial light, make sure it is set up correctly and pointed in the right direction.
- Next, place your product on a clean surface or backdrop and start shooting! Be sure to take lots of images from different angles and capture as many details as possible.
I Took My Images, Now What?
Now that you have your product images, it's time to edit and enhance them to make them look their best. This can be done with photo editing software like Photoshop, Lightroom, or GIMP. There are also many online tutorials available that can teach you the basics of photo editing. When editing your images one of the #1 thing you want to focus on is that the images are color correct and are a perfect depiction of your product. This will decrease returns and increase profits.
Once your photos are edited, you can use them for a variety of purposes such as social media posts, website graphics, marketplace listings, catalogs, or product packaging. There are so many great ways to utilize the images on different platforms to get the best use out of the time and effort put into creating them
Product photography doesn't have to be difficult! With these tips in mind, you should be able to take great product shots that will help increase sales and conversions. So get out there and start snapping some photos!
What If I Don't Like My Photos I Took?
If you're not happy with the product photos you took, don't worry! There are many ways to improve them. One of the best things to do is watch some online tutorials on photo editing and learn how to use photo editing software like Photoshop or Lightroom. This will help you fix any mistakes or shortcomings in your images.
You can also hire a professional photographer to take care of all your product photography needs. This will ensure that your product photos look great and help increase sales and conversions. Professionals like Results Imagery are not only professional photographers but we are eCommerce experts that understand what needs to be showcased in an image to increase conversions and create images that bring products to life.
We invite you to give us a try and experience the amazing processes we have created to make sure we help you succeed in your product selling journey.